Only registered guests are allowed in the guestrooms.
$ 85 Price from:
Show hotels on the map
The oldest church in the historical center of Graz is the Leechkirche. It dates from the 13th century. It stands on the site of the round St. Kunigund Chapel (1202). The Teutonic Order of Knights received it as a gift in 1223. Unfortunately, the invasion of the Hungarians demolished this original structure necessitating the construction of a new building.
Work began on the building of the Leechkirche in the mid 13th century. The completion date is 1293. The result is a fragile looking Gothic structure. The main west porch portal contains a sculpted relief showing a transitional work as the building changes in style from Romanesque to early Gothic. This is the delicate Enthroned Madonna and Child. It dates from 1283 to 1293. In 1500, the addition of two towers to the west front changed the façade. The interior reeks of French Gothic. The choir features stained glass windows from the 14th and 16th centuries. They include the 1337 Passion of the Evangelists directly above the choir. The high altar is from a later period, clearly Baroque but displaying a late 15th century statue of Mary.