The monastery of St. Martin is in the small town of Gnadenwald. The monastery dates from 1445 as a chapel under the direction of two hermit brothers. The same site had been the home of a hunting lodge since the 1000. The actual monastery, however, is only from 1497. In 1499, one individual, a nun by the name of Magdalena Getzner of Halle, arrived to found it. As a result, there was a close affiliation between this monastery or nunnery and the parent one of St. Magdalena in the Hallet Valley. The St. Magdalena Nuns were "Waldschwestern" nuns.
The monastery was in addition to the Church. It was Augustinian. A fire caused some problems during the 16th century. Restructuring and the creation of a Baroque St. Martin took place during this time. Over the years, the monastery, itself, no longer functioned as a monastery. The cells were abandoned. The monastery became a boarding house. Restoration took place to revive the building between 1950 and 1957.
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better