The New Cathedral (Neuer Dom) is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. It is the largest church in all of Austria. The then Bishop of Linz, F. J. Rudiger, started the process in 1855. Construction, however, did not begin until 1862. The process took over 62 year to complete.
The model for the building was French Cathedral Gothic according to the architect Vinzenz Statz. This neo-Gothic structure has a steeple 134 meters, just short of the steeple of St. Stephen in Vienna. The interior is by Josef Gosser and features enormous statues of St. Peter and St. Paul (1663). Anton Bruckner’s E-Minor Mass premiered her in 1869. The Cathedral is notable for its size, its steeple and its Nativity Scenes. At Christmas, the nave hosts one of the biggest in town. It is by Sebastian Osterrieder and measure 12 meters. The Cathedral is also famous for its stained glass window. It presents in pictorial form, the story of the city of Linz.
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better