Johann Matthias Krinner was a very busy man in Linz during the 18th century. A master builder, he was much in demand. He completed the work of the Monoritekirche in 1751. Earlier, he and another master builder, Johann Haslinger, worked on the Ursulinenkirche. Construction lasted on this church from 1736 to 1772. The Ursuline sisters kept control of it until 1968. They abandoned it. The Upper Austria Government purchased the building in 1973. It is now a cultural center.
The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is unabashedly Baroque. Its exterior features two easily identifiable towers. Sculpted figures are from the hands of F. J. Mähl. The interior is alight with gold and crystal. The altarpiece of the Archangel Michael is by Bartolomeo Altomonte, another prolific church artist in Linz. The southwest altarpiece depicts St. Ursula with St. Leopold. It is also the work of Altomonte. Antonio Belucci also did work on the leaves of the high altar.
Address: Ursulinenkirche, Landstraße 31, 4020 Linz, Austria
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better