The Patron Saint of Salzburg is St. Rupert. The Dom or Cathedral is dedicated to him. It is the first Cathedral Church in Salzburg. Dating back to 774, it now has little overt sign of these early architectural styles. After a major fire in 1598, the old Romanesque Gothic church disappeared. A new structure arose on the site of the old. The result was the first Italian Baroque Church north of the Alps.
St. Ruperts was consecrate in 1628 with great pomp and ceremony. What stands out is the symmetry of its exterior. The façade is balanced on either side by two identical towers. The façade, itself, features sculpted figures of St. Rupert, St. Virgil, St. Peter and St. Paul. The three bronze doors into the church represent Faith, Hope and Charity. The font harks back to Romanesque times. It was the scene of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s baptismal service. Mozart grew up and played the 18th century church pipe organ here from 1779 to 1781. He wrote the coronation Mass with St. Rupert’s in mind.
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better