Hotels in Church of St. Sebastian

      Church of St. Sebastian Details

      The Sebastiankirche on Linzergasse is a popular place for serious Mozart fans. It is not particularly a grand edifice. It is also not particularly noteworthy for its age. The Sebastiankirche dates from 1502 to 1512. A late Gothic structure, it lost almost all of this architectural style to architect Kassian Singer, in the mid-18th century and the rest to a fire in 1818. The Baroque and Rococo elements took over in its restructuring. What remains from its earlier past is the statue on the facade of St. Sebastian by Konrad Asper (1614-1620) and a 1600 altarpiece painting of the Madonna by Hans Waldenburger.However, it is not the decor or even so much the church, people come to visit, it is the cemetery. Within the confines of the cemetery of St. Stephens you will find several notable graves. The most prominent, for Mozart fans, is the grave of his wife, Constanze and his father, Leopold. This is also the final resting place of the great alchemist, occultist and physician, Theophrastus Bombastus of Hohenheim aka Paracelsus and, beneath a domed mausoleum, Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau.

      Address: Linzer Gasse 41, 5020 Salzburg, Austria

      Phone: +43 662 875208