Michaelerkirche or St. Michael’s Church is an example of many overlapping architectural styles. This former Imperial church dates originally from the 13th century (1327-1340). Yet, with the passage of time and the change in architectural tastes, the church has metamorphosed from one style to another. Sometime, the old has simply incorporated the new to create an interesting combination of elements.
The facade of the Michaelerkirche is ne-Classical. It dates from 1792. The interior is a mélange of various earlier styles. The Chancel is from the 14th century, reflecting the Gothic style. The interior features many Gothic characteristics as well as a few Baroque and Rococo elements of design. These include 14th and Renaissance frescoes as well as the rococo, alabaster Fall of Angels above the high altar by Lorenzo Mattieli and the crypt. The crypt runs the length and breadth of the entire building and houses several musty coffins with their lids removed. The pipe organ once felt the hands of Joseph Haydn.
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better