The Augustinian Church once belonged to an Augustinian Monastery founded by Friedrich, the Handsome in 1327. Work on the church began shortly after the completion of the monastic buildings. The Augustinerkirche comprises one of the oldest structures of the immense Hofburg. It has undergone, however, several architectural adjustments since its initial construction in the 1630's.
The Augustinian Church met the Baroque style in the 17th century. It also ran into the neo-Gothic phase of the late 18th century. Ferdinand von Hohenberg refashioned the church to include soaring ribbed vaulting, dangling chandeliers and vertical piers. The church has a Gothic look, but it all comes from the renovations in 1784 and 1785. The church also possesses a nod to the form of neo-Classicism. This is the graceful and moving monument to Maria Christina, the Christinendenkmal, the Tomb of the Archduchess. The work is by sculptor Antonio Canova in 1805. The small Loreto Chapel houses 54 silver urns containing the hearts of former Hapsburg rulers. One of the highlights of the church, however, is the Baroque organ. Come on Sunday to hear its at its best.
Address: Augustinerstraße 3, 1010 Wien, Austria
Phone: +43 1 5337099
Open hours: 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better