St. Peterskirche or St. Peter’s Church is another church in Vienna occupying an ancient site. Today’s church, however, dates from the 18th century. It is the work of Lukas von Hildebrandt in 1703 to 1708. He built according to 1702 plans by Gabriel Montani. Monatni, himself, drew inspiration form St. Peter’s Basiolica in Rome, Italy. Further modifications occurred in 1733 under Franz Jängg.
The plan of St. Peter’s Church is oval. The massive green dome and angled towers add together with an elegant portal entrance and fine interior to create a complete work of art. The striking interior features frescoes by Johann Michael Rottmayr and work by Lorenzo Mattielli. Over the tabernacle is Maria Immaculata by Leopold Kupelweiser (1836). The altarpiece is the Healing of the Lame by Peter and John by Martino Altomonte. The Baroque pulpit is the work of Matthias Stendl in 1716. The altar is from a design by Anotnio Galli Bibiena but probably executed by his father-in-law Santino Bussi.
Address: Petersplatz, 1010 Wien, Austria
Phone: +43 1 5336433
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better