The Maison du Roi in Brussels, Belgium is one of the most beautiful neo-gothic buildings. Very suitable for its name, which means King's House. Or in Dutch it is called Broodhuis, which means bread house. Now there's a story there. Right now, this building is home to the historical City Museum. But back to the Broodhuis! This refers to the origins of the original building – a 13th century wood shack used by bakers to sell their bread. In 1405 a stone structure replaced it. Bakers started to sell their bread door to door, and so the hall was used by the Duke of Brabant for administrative purposes. That's where the name Maison du Roi came from.
When Charles V was on the throne, the King's House was overhauled and redone in a very flamboyant Gothic style. It is said one of the rooms in this building held the Counts of Egmont and Hoorne for their last night prior to being decapitated on the Grand Place. In 1695 the building was once again restored to keep it from collapsing. Maison du Roi was then used for a variety of different things over the centuries e.g. Maison du Peuple. In 1860 the city bought the old house and once again re-built it from the ground up. On June the 2nd 1887 the King's House became the City Museum of Brussels.
Address: Grand Place, 1000 Ville de Bruxelles, Belgium
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better