The Maisel Synagogue is another product of the former Mayor of the Jewish Quarter, Marcus Mordecai Maisel. He called for construction in 1590. The Synagogue was not to be a public place for worship. Its intent was to act as a private Synagogue for the Maisel family. It became the most richly decorated Synagogue in town.
In 1689, a fire devastated the Jewish Quarter, including this Synagogue. It arose anew as a Renaissance building. In 1893, the Maisel synagogue received a facelift. It became Neo-gothic under the hands of Professor A.Groth. The new facility has a triple-nave and he general crenellated appearance of the style. In WWII, the temple, closed, became a property of the Third Reich. They moved in massive materials, intending to turn it into a Museum of the Extinct Jewish Race. Ironically, these objects now form the basis for the Maisel Synagogue Museum. There are displays of Silver Torahs, crowns and finials. You can learn about the “History of Jews in Bohemia and Moravia. There are items from everyday life and explanations of the origins of the Star of David.