Hotels in Clam-Gallas Palace
Clam-Gallas Palace Hotels
On Husova, a Baroque structure went up between 1713 and 1730. This Palace, the Clam-Gallas Palace, is the work of a Viennese court architect, Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. His client was the Supreme Marshall of Bohemia, Jan Gallas de Campo. Gallas died before the end of the project and his son, Philip Joseph, took over.Under Joseph, the building continued to achieve monumental heights. Matthias Braun produced the Grand Portals flanked by the two pairs of Hercules as well as Neptunes Fountain. Carlos Carlone finished the fresco work throughout the palace. A depiction of the gathering of the Olympian Gods adorns the Ceremonial Hall while the apotheosis of Art is on the second floor. The largest fresco is located above the landing of the main staircase. It is the Triumph of Helios. Around 1800, the owners added a corner garden with the small statue Little Therese by Vaclav Prachiner, an allegorical representation of the River Vltava. A theater rounded out the picture of a second floor addition. The building did not stop growing. In fact, it became an apartment building in the 19th century housing, as well the Ministry of Finaces, and a wedding chapel. The Prague City Archives moved there in 1945. The resultant mess was restored between 1978 and 1994. Today, it still houses archives, but it is also a concert venue and a hall for exhibitions.
Clam-Gallas Palace Details
Address: Husova 158/20, 110 00 Praha, Czech Republic
Phone: +420 236 001 111