This historic landmark is on the Habro Plads Square in the Indre By (Inner City), the heart of medieval Copenhagen. Saint Nicholas Church (Skt Nikolaj Kirke in Danish) is one of the oldest churches in the city. It was the Mother Church of the Danish Reformation of 1536, and so has a special place among religiously devout Danes. However, the church was all but destroyed in a great fire that laid waste to much of the city in 1795. Only the tower survived. It was subsequently used to house the city fire brigade.
Saint Nicholas Church ceased to function as a house of worship. But the present, massive red brick structure was re-built early in the 20th century. Now called Kunsthallen Nikolaj, it is an art gallery. It houses an impressive collection of contemporary art, and is a venue for multi-media art shows. The ancient tower is used for audio and video installations.
Address: Nikolaj Plads 10, 1067 København K, Denmark
Open hours: 12:00 - 5:00 pm
Phone: +45 33 18 17 80
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better