Surrounded by boutiques, gardens and municipal buildings, Place de la Concorde is one of the most popular and famous squares in Paris. Prior to the French revolution, the square was named after Louis XV. However, during the revolution it was renamed to Place de la Révolution, as it was the site of many executions by guillotine. Louis XVI and Marie Antionette were both beheaded here. Following the culmination of the revolution, the square was renamed Place de la Concorde to symbolize and new era of peace and reconciliation. Place de la Concorde is the largest square in Paris, measuring 8.6 hectares. The square occupies a prominent location at the opposite end of Jardin des Tuileries to the Louvre. Slightly to the west of Place de la Concorde are the Grand Palais, Petit Palais and Palais de l’Elysée. The eastern end of Avenue des Champs Élysées begins at Place de la Concorde, heading west to Arc de Triomphe.
In its former incarnation as Place Louis XV, the square featured a statue of the former French monarch. The French revolution saw this statue torn down. What now stands in its place is the Obelisk of Luxor. This obelisk is 22.8 m high and stands at the center of an oval that also features a fountain at each end. Two museums, the Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume and the Musée de l'Orangerie, stand at the eastern edge of Place de la Concorde and are located around Jardin des Tuileries. First constructed by Perronnet in 1790 Pont de la Concorde crosses the Seine from the square and provides access to Palais Bourbon and the National Assembly.
Address: Place de la Concorde 75008 Paris, France
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better