One of the most impressive historical sights of Agrigento is the Cathedral of San Gerlando. It is located in the historical center of the city, at the top of a grand staircase. Work on the Cathedral actually began before the year 1100, on order of Bishop Gerlando (who was then later sanctified and adopted as the patron saint of the city), but numerous modifications were made to the church over the years, such that a number of different architectural and artistic styles can be observed when admiring the structure. Indeed, Norman, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque elements can all be seen.
The church is flanked by an incomplete bell tower that dates to around the 15th century. Within the church, a peculiar acoustic phenomenon can be experienced: if someone whispers at the entrance of the cathedral, he or she can be heard in the apse, at the level of the chancel. The gothic portico is one of the most impressive characteristics of the cathedral, as is the work “La Tromba di Brandimarte”, created between the years 1500 and 1680. A few remains of the saint are conserved in a silver reliquary within a chapel inside the cathedral. Various artistically important frescoes and sculptures can also be admired within the church, as well as impressive wooden coffered ceilings, decorated with royal motifs.
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better