Alberobello tourism is heavily dependent on the characteristic buildings found ONLY in a small area of the southern Italian region of Apulia; these buildings are called “trulli” (singular, trullo). The town of Alberobello has the highest number and most diversified types of trulli and so has been dubbed the “Trulli Capital”. These trulli are conical buildings that were originally constructed without cement or mortar. The first trulli were composed of conical structures that were built directly on the ground, though more modern structures have the conical “roof” sitting on perimeter walls.
Moreover, more modern trulli have more than one “cone”, indicating that the structure is made of more than one room. Initially, these buildings were solely used as homes and storehouses, but thanks to their efficient design, even public buildings began to be constructed in trullo style. Indeed, between the years 1926 and 1927, a church was built in trullo style, the only church of its kind in the world; this is the Church of Sant’Antonio, located at the top of the Monti district of Alberobello. The layout of the structure is a Greek cross, with a cupola that has a height of 21 meters. In 2004, the church was completely restructured.
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better