Barberino di Mugello attractions include the impressive Castello di Villanova, or Villanova Castle, which was present in the town at least since the middle of the 13th century. Within the defensive walls of the city, there was also a church, dedicated to Saint Jacob, which leads experts to believe that the nobles who originally owned the fortress were quite well off. The castle, along with its church, were bought in 1611 by the Marquis Ottavio Gerini and included in the Villa Le Maschere estate, one of the largest estates in the area.
Over the years, the original Castello di Villanova went into ruin and was eventually re-constructed in the 1800's, in neo-medieval style. It was used as a school and a convent. Remains of the original castle include the tower, two doors and certain parts of the defensive walls. In 1990, there were some renovations done on the tower, along with one of the doors and a stone staircase, also part of the original castle. Subsequently, the castle and its grounds underwent extensive renovations and are now used to host ceremonies, banquets and other types of events.
Address: Via Nazionale, 50031 Barberino di Mugello FI, Italy
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better