Giardino della Gherardesca or Gherardesca Garden in Florence is located on the right bank of the Arno River. The 11-acre (4.5 hectares) park is by far the largest private gardens in Florence. It is just a short walk from the center of town and one of Florence’s finest Renaissance palazzos. As with all sites in Europe there is a lot of colorful history attached to the Gherardesca Gardens. The garden was originally one of the finest gardens of Florence and a part of Bartolomeo Scala’s palazzo, which was built between 1472 and 1480.
In the 16th century the palazzo became the property of Cardinal Alessandro de’ Medici, who died after being the Pope for a short 26 days. His sister Costanza (married Della Gherardesca) inherited the property. Over time the renaissance palace and gardens were residence for an order of nuns, 5 centuries of Florentine nobility and an Egyptian Viceroy who sold it when his harem of 75 was not allowed to move in. Eventually in the 1800’s Count Guido Alberto della Gherardesca refashioned the gardens to their current form, with avenues, a pond, and rare trees and flowers. It is hard to believe that this magnificent green space exists behind tall walls right in the center of Florence.
Address: Borgo Pinti, 99, 50121 Firenze FI, Italy
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better