The Tower of Pisa is the campanile, or bell tower of the cathedral in Pisa, Italy. It has a rich and interesting history. Construction began on the Tower of Pisa in 1173, and by 1178, the third floor was underway. At this point, the tower started to sink because of a poorly built foundation and unstable subsoil. Construction stopped because the citizens of Pisa were at war with neighboring Italian cities.
Work on the Tower of Pisa resumed in 1272. By this time, the soil had settled beneath the tower. In 1284, the work stopped yet again for the Battle of Meloria. In 1319, the seventh floor was finished. Finally, in 1372, the bell tower was finalized. There are 296 steps that lead to the topmost bell tower, and eight stories in the entire tower. There are seven bells, representing the musical notes of the major scale. The last and largest bell was set in place during 1655. Recently, the Tower of Pisa has undergone structural strengthening to insure it will stay in place over at least the next 300 years.
Address: Piazza del Duomo, 56126 Pisa PI, Italy
Phone: +39 050 835011
Open hours: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm/ 7:00 pm
Architect: Bonanno Pisano
Province: Province of Pisa
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better