Hotels in Diocleziano Thermal
Diocleziano Thermal Hotels
Diocleziano Thermal Details
The Terme di Diocleziano, or the Diocletian Thermal Establishments (also known as the Baths of Diocletian), were the largest thermal establishments in ancient Rome. Construction on this massive complex was begun in 298 and completed around 306. Besides containing the traditional environments, with tubs that would have been filled with water of varying temperatures, this thermal complex also included a central hall, an uncovered pool and quite a number of other rooms used for a variety of purposes. Because of the large nature of the baths and their various large rooms, throughout the years they have been used for even more varied purposes.
In 1561, indeed, Pope Pio IV decided to transform many of the environments into a Basilica, with an adjacent convent. The project was actually assigned to Michelangelo. The rooms have further been used to house granaries, stalls, shops and, unfortunately, for construction material. In the late 19th century, the complex became an integral part of the National Museum of Rome. When youre in the area, stop by the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and Venezia Square as well.