The Doria Pamphilj Museum is located in the imposing Palazzo by the same name, which was originally constructed in 1435 but then renovated. Indeed, the Rococo-style façade was a later addition. The building originally belonged to Cardinal Santorio, then passed into the hands of the Duke of Urbino and was acquired by the ancestors of the current Pamphilj (sometimes spelled “Pamphili”) family in the 1700's. The family still inhabits the building, but allows visitors to view their impressive artistic collection, the most important and most likely the largest of its kind, in the mornings. Visitors are also allowed to check out the private apartments.
The art collection is found on the first floor and includes works by Velazquez, Titian, Rubens, Raphael, Caravaggio and others. There are busts and statues, some of Roman origin, as well as gold and crystal pieces, and impressive-looking mirrors. The internal courtyard, which is essentially located at the center of the first floor, was once used as a ballroom during a visit from a Hapsburg emperor. Once you’ve done taking in all this luxury, head over to the Modern Art Gallery, the Castel Sant’Angelo Museum and then Tiberina Island.
Address: Via del Corso, 305, 00186 Roma, Italy
Open hours: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
Phone: +39 06 679 7323