The Spada Gallery is located in one of the wings on the first floor of the majestic 17th century Palazzo Spada, which is famous for its façade and for Borromini’s false perspective work, located in the courtyard. The collection located in the Spada Gallery was begun in the 17th century by Cardinal Bernardino Spada, an enthusiastic supporter and patron of art and artists; his brother also contributed to the collection. Other works were added as a result of the marriage between Orazio Spada and Maria Veralli, as well as by purchases made in the 17th and 18th centuries by Bernardino’s grandson, Cardinal Fabrizio Spada. The collection is displayed in four fresco halls, according to 17th century style, with frame touching frame and smaller paintings above larger paintings.
The majority of the paintings in the gallery dates to between the 16th and 17th centuries and includes works by Guercino, Gentileschi, Reni, Titian, Andrea del Sarto, Caravaggio and Rubens. The halls themselves are decorated with impressive antique furniture and also contain sculptural works. If you like this gallery, head over to the Galleria Colonna, the Doria Pamphilj Gallery, or even the Castel Sant’Angelo Museum.
Address: Piazza Capo di Ferro, 13, 00186 Roma, Italy
Phone: +39 06 686 1158
Architect: Francesco Borromini