At the foot of Scalzi Bridge is Gli Scalzi Church. Chiesa degli Sclaz is the given name to the formal Santa Maria di Nazaretta. Its current common name is derived form the people who founded it. Scalzi is barefoot. The mendicant friars who ran this church were called barefoot - even though they did wear sandals. These Carmelites swore a vow of collective poverty. Fortunately for them, Count Gregorio Cavazza had more than enough money to fund the construction of their church. It was consecrated in 1680.
Although less renowned than many churches in Venice, Gli Scalzi Church is a must see. Pay tribute to the exterior of Giusepp Sardi, marvel at the lavish Baroque interior of Baldassare Longhena, notice the St. Sebastian and John the Baptist statues in niches on the façade. They are both by Bernardo Falconi. Inside, admire the use of rare black marble columns in the Venier Chapel. There is a magnificent gilded crow-shaped baladachen. The high altar is by Fra Giuseppe Pozzo. The tomb of the last doge, Ludovico Manin, lies in the Manin Chapel. It, too, is by Pozzo. Do not forget to notice the proliferation of the Sybil motif in the decor. Gli Scalzi Church also has a fine organ and a noteworthy ceiling fresco.
Address: Rio Terà Lista di Spagna, 30121 Venezia, Italy
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better