Fort Cornwallis was named after the Charles Cornwallis, Governor-General of Penang during that time. The structure was built by Captain Francis Light in 1786 upon his arrival to protect the island from possible invasion. The original make up of the Fort were all wood but it was eventually rebuilt in 1804 using convict labor. After six years, Fort Cornwallis is complete which is now made of bricks and stones.
From above, the Fort looks like a star shaped military structure. But during its course as a military installation, the structure was practically used to administer Penang instead of being a defense installation. In the Fort, tourists often visit the famed cannon called the Seri Rambai. A visit to this cannon is one of the most popular activities in Penang. This Dutch cannon was believed to have fertility powers. Even though its one of the famous Penang attractions, the structure is now privately owned and requires a little fee to gain entrance. There’s a souvenir center and an open amphitheater where stage plays are often held.
Address: Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better