Drum Castle’s keep is one of the oldest surviving houses in Scotland. The construction was the work of the first Provost of Aberdeen, Richard Cemetarius in the late 13th century. Much of the architecture of the castle is still in its medieval state, with narrow stairs in order to access the tower with amazing views of the surrounding country side from the battlements. The keep was enlarged in 1619 when a Jacobean mansion was added on followed by further additions to the house by Queen Victoria.
The land on which the castle was built was given to William de Irwyn by King Robert the Bruce and remained in the same family for the following 653 years. The house itself is very cosy and welcoming with family portraits lining the walls and Georgian furniture throughout the building. The grounds surrounding the castle are an ancient oak woodland with walks scattered throughout.
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better