On of the finest structures built by the Irish Architect, Charles Lanyon, is in the town of Ballywalter. It was and still is the home of the Mullholand family. Originally, a simple Georgian structure under its owners, the Mqtthews Family, the building expanded. Charles Lanyon turned the two-story home into a grand house in the Victorian Italianate style of architecture.
Construction began on the Georgina house of Springvale Ballywalter Park in 1846 and ended in 1856 with Ballywalter Park. Under the directions of the then Mayor of Belfast, Andrew Mullholand, Lanyon added two bow wings in the north and south, then altered the main entrance from the south to the east. A third floor addition became the nursery floor while a later extension created the Gentlemen’s Wing with its Billiards Room and Smoking Room. Inside, you may see the immense Inner Hall. It measures 60 feet in length. A stained glass cupola graces the grand staircase. The house also has a magnificent Drawing Room as well as a formal Dining Room and domed Conservatory. The grounds feature a walled garden as well as glass houses.
Address: Ballywalter, Newtownards BT22 2PP, United Kingdom