The Kelvingrove Art Gallery is one of Europe’s finest civic art collections and is also arguably the most important museum in Glasgow. It has been recently refurbished so that the Argyle street building is now an impressive presence, and is also free for visitors. It has recently been cited as the most visited museum in the UK outside of London, which, considering the number of museums it is competing with is no small feat.
One of the most famous works housed in the museum is the painting of Christ of Saint John of the Cross, by Salvador Dali. The building was constructed partially with funds that were raised during the International Exhibition at Kelvingrove Park in 1888 and it was opened to the public for the first time in 1901. It is build from prominent Glasgow red sandstone but is in the Spanish Baroque style. The architects of the building were George Frampton and Francis Derwent Wood.