The Martyr’s School is one of the most visited museums in the city of Glasgow. It is one of the few of the earliest buildings where one can see the distinctive architectural character of Glasgow’s most influential and famous architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The school was commissioned in 1895 that is when Mackintosh was still a junior assistant at Honeyman and Keppie, where he was completing his apprenticeship.
This place is not a museum as such, but examples of Mackintosh’s early work are open to the public, while other parts are now used as offices for Glasgow Museum staff. One can admire the fine tile work and spectacular roof trusses inside the building. There is particular finery with the iron work of the balconies. The Martyr’s School is definitely one of the greatest buildings that one can visit when in the city of Glasgow. Even the museums can be used for private function hire.