Located just south of the River Clyde, in the Ibrox district, along Edmiston Drive, is Ibrox Stadium. The stadium was originally called Ibrox park and is the home of the Rangers football team in Glasgow. The stadium is one of the oldest in the country, as well as one of the largest, and as a result has been protected and recognised as a place of special historical significance. It was also the scene of two disasters in which many spectators were killed.
Ibrox Park originally had large wooden stands and could accommodate a crowd of just four and a half thousand spectators. However, after a collapse in 1902 in which 25 people were killed, these wooden stands were replaced. This disaster was followed in 1971 when 66 spectators died when a stairway collapsed. This prompted the complete rebuilding of the stadium and when the new stadium opened in 1987 with a seating capacity of 44,000, it was one of the best stadiums in the country.