Camden Town is a relative newcomer to the London region, having only been around since the 1790's. This area north of Tottenham Court used to be open fields with the Fleet River running through it. Once a deadly place to get caught alone, Camden Town area was frequented by highwaymen who stayed at the inns "Mother Red Cap" (named for an old woman who used to live in the area and accused of witchcraft) or the "Southampton" and were routinely dispatched and hung in a gibbet when caught practicing their chosen profession. The two inns at the crossroad are still serving ale and food today, although the Southampton is now the Edwards and Mother Red Cap was renamed World's End. Charles Pratt, the Earl of Camden is credited with having founded the area when he and some of his wealthy business associates began to develop the east side of Camden High Street.
The Camden road railway station opened in 1850, after work on urbanizing Camden Town with railway and canal workers brought in the Irish settlers fleeing from the potato famine of 1840. By the end of the century Camden Town was a bustling urban accomplishment that lasted until the railway terminal became a target for WWII bombing raids. Today Camden Town is largely cosmopolitan, but continues to be loyal to the history. Lucky travelers can tour one of the many homes or sites made famous by the towns most famous and infamous inhabitants, including Charles Dickens, Mary Shelley, George Orwell and Dylan Thomas.
Address: Camden Town, London NW1, United Kingdom