- Customer Services: 1-877-3463614(free)
The Fourth Yard Dragon Ground in Hanoi, now known as a Temple of Literature (or a library, in less boastful terms), originally built during the Ly dynasty in 1070, was created as a shrine to Confucius and the disciples of his most responsible for the spreading of his teachings. Six years after it was built, Quoc Tu Giam, School for the Sons of the Nation, was established here as a way to teach princes. After awhile, the Quoc Tu Giam would loosen up their policy a bit and begin allowing Mandarin students to enlist at the school, and before long, even commoners were allowed to go to school here (though only after passing a pretty unforgiving regional examination, of course).
Eventually, both of these uses were forgotten as, in 1484, it became a sort of memorial to honor Vietnam’s most bright and shining intellectuals and scholars, and eventually morphed into the historic landmark and Temple of Literature it is today.