The statue of Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882) stands proudly in the center of this square, where it faces toward Italy. A native son of Nice, this man was a hero of Italian unification. The statue, by sculptor Antoine Etex and his assistant Gustave Deloye, has stood in the square since 1891. The Place has borne his name since September 1870. Place Garibaldi, however, has had several names prior to this one. Between 1801 and 1860, it regularly switched from Place Napoleon to Victor Albert II. This indicated the control of this central place.
The original name of Place Garibaldi was Pairoliera. It marked the end of the street of the same name. It became Piazza Vittorio, after King Victor Amédée III, afterwards. The houses that surrounded it remained virtually unchanged. There is also a church on the square. This is Our Lady of Assumption (1764-1778) designed by Antonio Spinelli.
Address: Place Garibaldi, 06300 Nice, France
Please provide this reference number to our customer service center representative on request, so we can help you better